We spent Tuesday’s Hangout chatting about getting the family involved in giving back.
Our all-star cast was comprised of: Beth Teitelman, director of scholarship services at the 92nd Street Y; Emily McKhann, co-founder of The Motherhood; Morra Aarons-Mele, founder of Women Online and The Mission List; and Chrysula Winegar, #GivingTuesdaycommunications project lead and community manager for the Million Moms Challenge. And the Hangout was produced by me, your humble social media gal
For your viewing pleasure, here is the video of the chat:
Here are some highlights from the discussion:
- Emily flagged results from a recent survey by The Motherhood. One finding: 86% of mom and dad bloggers who responded to the survey said giving is important to their families.
- Involve your young kids by doing projects that are on their level and age appropriate, such as baking cookies etc.
- Beth advised looking for organizations who have already done the homework on how to engage children. “If it’s not in your community, start it, replicate it, build it,” she said.
- Giving at different levels — philanthropy isn’t only for the rich!
- #GivingTuesday is not just about one day. Yes, it’s a kick-off for the giving season, but it should be about so much more than giving once a year.
The next Hangout will be on October 30th. Be sure to sign up for our emails so you get all the details!