#GivingTuesday Partner Spotlight: Benevolent.net
Wondering how some organizations are embracing the #GivingTuesday movement and getting involved? In this post, Megan Kashner of Benevolent.net explains what they’re doing for #GivingTuesday and how they’re doing it, too.
Why did Benevolent decide to become a #GivingTuesday partner?
Benevolent and #GivingTuesday see that every donor and every gift make a world of difference. One of the value propositions of Benevolent is that a real-world donor can make a world of difference for one person with a gift of $20, $50, or even less. 87% of all individual giving to charity in the U.S. is given in increments less than $200, but we persist in celebrating and rewarding the outlier big-dollar givers while the real-world donor goes uncelebrated.
On #GivingTuesday, thousands, perhaps millions of us will step up and give. Benevolent decided to become a partner in the #GivingTuesday movement because of the focus and importance we place on every person who gives and every person who is helped.
On #GivingTuesday and in the run-up to the date, Benevolent will post and share quotes from our recipients, all of whom are low-income adults who have been helped directly by people’s act of giving. On #GivingTuesday, it will be important to make sure that those who give feel that they have made a real difference. Quotes like these are rare in the current state of philanthropy, because most of our giving is to nonprofits and causes – which, although absolutely important, are not always able to convey the gratitude of one individual person receiving help. Benevolent is built on this person-to-person connection, and therefore can bring the voice and perspective of those helped to the event, both leading up to and on #GivingTuesday.
Here are some examples of things Benevolent recipients tell us all the time:
• “I will never forget what you have done for me and the rest of the people. Once again thank you so much.” – Al
• “But more than the monetary value, I so greatly appreciate the thought behind the gift. Having a need is a burden, but your action has really lightened the load.” – Christina
• “I think this was the greatest blessing I’ve received in years!” – Emily
• “You all have a peaceful and blessed season and continue blessing other Children of God in need.” – Christen
• “I send thanks to all the people who helped me get these services and I salute them.” – Luis
• “May the lord give you a lot of blessings. Thank you so much.” – Samantha
• “I appreciate your donations with all my heart. Its seems Like as soon as I was feeling a little down about my finances the clouds went away and the sun appeared. I say to others don’t ever give up on your dreams and goals. God Bless!” – Sierra
• “Thank you for your help. We appreciate it. ” – Jose
• “Thank you and may God continue to Bless you and those who donate.” – Tori
What are you doing to get your members involved in this initiative?
Benevolent is all about engaging our members in our work and in interesting and engaging findings and trends around how low income families succeed and thrive in the U.S. Leading up to and on #GivingTuesday, we’ll be encouraging all our donors to tweet and post about their giving experience and include a mention of #GivingTuesday when they do!