#GivingTuesday Partner Spotlight: Road Scholar
Wondering how some organizations are embracing the #GivingTuesday movement and getting involved? In this post, Ann Simanis, associate vice president of development for Road Scholar, explains what they’re doing for #GivingTuesday and how they’re doing it, too.
1. Why did Road Scholar decide to become a #GivingTuesday partner?
Road Scholar is honored to be a part of this historic movement to channel the giving spirit of the Holiday Season into a day of community action. As an education organization dedicated to inspiring older adults, Road Scholar has joined this effort to spread awareness and encourage action for people of all ages.
2. What is Road Scholar planning for #GivingTuesday?
We will be inspiring older adults to enroll in a service learning program or one of our 6,500 other learning adventures and make a donation to support lifelong learning. Road Scholar educational adventures are created by Elderhostel, Inc., the not-for-profit world leader in lifelong learning since 1975. Our educational travel programs engage expert instructors, provide extraordinary access, and stimulate discourse and friendship among people for whom learning is the journey of a lifetime. Road Scholar Service Learning programs offer special opportunities to lend a helping hand as you experience fascinating aspects of local life in locations throughout the United States or around the world. From tutoring schoolchildren or helping restore a crucial forest habitat for wildlife, to assisting with artifact restoration and museum curatorial work, Road Scholar Service Learning programs are an opportunity to make a difference in the world.
3. What are you doing to get your participants involved in this initiative?
We will be promoting #GivingTuesday and our Service Learning program options via all of our social media outlets leading up to the November 27th launch:
• A series of Facebook posts will encourage our 11,000 friends to share their #GivingTuesday plans.
• A series of Tweets will encourage Service Learning action; donations to support lifelong learning; and participation in #GivingTuesday
• We will feature our Service Learning programs on our homepage, YouTube channel, Pinterest and our own social media discussion board that with 17,000 members
Want to connect even more with the #GivingTuesday community? Check out our awesome online social community! Share, connect, earn points!